Monday, March 20, 2023

Charleston Part 1

At the beginning of the year my parents and I made a quick trip to Charleston, South Carolina. We had never been there before but had heard a lot of positive things about it. Spoiler alert: We liked it! I am not easily impressed with most places. I don't try to be picky but I don't know, I just like places that are interesting or unique and not super touristy and Charleston was actually impressive. While it is a very touristy place it didn't feel like a tourist trap. Especially since we were there at the beginning of January. There really weren't too many people. Although I'm sure it's crazy during the warmer months!

That said, we thought visiting at the beginning of January would mean the weather wouldn't be so humid, but boy were we wrong! Both mornings we were there we woke up to fog and 100% humidity that stayed pretty high all day long. So while the temperature itself wasn't so bad (in the 70's) the humidity was higher than we were expecting.

We stayed just across the Arthur Ravenel bridge in Mount Pleasant and drove into Charleston around 9:30ish. I had found a parking garage the night before while looking at Google maps that was most convenient for us so we parked and started walking around. 

There were hardly any people out and about so it was a nice and quiet morning exploring. We stopped for some coffee and just kind of wandered around. I had a found a few places I wanted to visit, landmarks and such, but for the most part we just wanted to wander around.
During our walking around we came across the Dock Street Theater. Which is the oldest theater in the US and dates back to 1736. 
Have you ever visited Charleston?
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheDiaryOfNicoleAlicia

4 comments:

  1. Wow, the aesthetic details from other eras are wild. Is that a pink church?? I've never been to Charleston, though I have friends who live in SC and are just like DO NOT COME in the summer because the heat and humidity are bananas. I just pulled up a map because your post got me thinking, and apparently the furthest south I've been is Virginia! (Okay, well, I've been to Florida a few times, but that feels like it's own unique world and not The South, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! The humidity!! We went in late July/early August-- huge mistake. Between the thick humidity and the scorching hot temps we spent most of the day every day at either the hotel pool or in our air conditioned room and only went out to explore in the evenings. We still had a great time but yep, it was very hot and humid. We stayed in Mount Pleasant too and the place we were staying had a water ferry over so we could just walk from that drop off point and didn't have to worry about parking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is! And it is a pink church! Definitely had to get a photo of that! There were a lot of interesting and unique churches in Charleston! Your friends are totally right! Pretty much from probably May to September/October it is just so hot and humid! I'm glad where I live it isn't quite as bad humidity-wise! Although we do have times where it is very high! Florida really is it's own unique world haha. I don't really consider it part of The South either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I bet it was so miserable then! It definitely is a great city but the weather is really something to watch out for! The water ferry is good to know. I didn't even think of looking into anything like that. Driving in Charleston itself was not a lot of fun as the streets were really narrow!

    ReplyDelete