Friday, October 15, 2021

Friday Favorites

Hello and welcome to my Friday Favorites! Today I am linking up with Andrea!

1. If you read Monday's post you saw that we moved down to the Greenville/Spartanburg area of South Carolina. After we got here we decided to go downtown and walk around a bit. The downtown here seems really nice. The Reedy river flows through downtown and you can see a nice view of the Reedy river falls by way of the Liberty bridge.
2. Croissants have been something I've wanted to try baking for a while and I finally decided to give them a try! They are quite a process as you have lots of waiting. You have to let it rise multiple times, then once you add your butter block you have to close the butter block in, roll it out, fold, let rest in the fridge, and roll and fold two additional times. Then I let it rest overnight and cut, shape, and bake them. I did 6 croissants and 6 pain au chocolat. 

As I was cutting them out I knew they seemed awfully big, but I thought maybe I should just stick with what the recipe said. But sure enough they puffed up a lot in the oven and were just much larger than I would have liked. So in turn they didn't bake as well in the middle as they would have were they smaller. So I know for next time to just trust my own instinct and not the recipe! 

But even though they were not quite what they should have been, I was still pretty pleased with how they turned out! They were light and flakey and tasted so good!
3. My mom and I have been having a hard time trying to find a place to go for walks as our neighborhood is pretty small and all the hiking is about 45 minutes away. So one Sunday we drove to a small town nearby and walked around. We came across a frozen custard place and decided to give it a try! I got the black raspberry which was very good!
4. Last weekend my mom and I went downtown for the Fall for Greenville event. A bunch of local restaurants had booths set up where you could get different foods to try. Since we are new to the area we thought it would be a great way to try out some local restaurants. You had to buy tickets, and then the tickets could be redeemed for different food items. 

The portions seemed kind of small which was fine since my mom and I were sharing everything and we wanted to try several different places. We weren't really impressed with anything we got, but it was nice to go out and do something as we don't typically go to stuff like this.
We tried blackberry beef tips with whipped Yukon gold potatoes (beef was tender but you couldn't taste the blackberry at all. And the potatoes weren't bad.), sparkling blackberry lemonade (wasn't sparkling like it was supposed to be and you also couldn't taste blackberry or lemon at all which was disappointing.) We also tried a slice of pepperoni pizza (just ok), beignets, teriyaki chicken and rice, and birthday cake gelato (this was good!). 

As we were finishing up a burst of rain came out of nowhere and it just started pouring! There wasn't anywhere to go so everyone had to just stand there and get drenched! Not a great way to end the day!

5. In case you missed it, on Monday I shared a Currently post and then on Wednesday I shared my August Photo A Day pictures!

Hope you have a great weekend!
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheDiaryOfNicoleAlicia

6 comments:

  1. Your croissants look like they turned out great! It is such a lengthy process. My son has made them three times now since Christmas and I give him credit for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It really is a lengthy process. Good for him for sticking with it! They're tricky but it feels nice to accomplish them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, congrats on the move! I have friends in SC (near Myrtle Beach), so I was immediately like, "Hey, they're neighbors!" buuut no, haha. You guys are like 4+ hours apart. Hilarious how the brain always jumps to "Two people live in the same geographic area, so surely they know each other!" :D It's hard to get acclimated to a new area, so good for you for getting out to that fall event! (Even if the food ended up being meh!) Your description of that lemonade sounds like LaCroix, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to move to and your croissants look so very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Haha, I always do the same thing! I'd like to get to Myrtle Beach eventually, but I was surprised at how it's farther away than it seems. And I was totally thinking the same thing about it being like LaCroix! haha. I don't know how people can drink and love that stuff so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does seem to be a very nice area! And thank you! They tasted really good!

    ReplyDelete