Monday, January 14, 2019

What I've Read Lately

So this is a post I started quite a while ago and then just never published. So I figured I might as well finish it! 

Anyone who really knows me knows I love to read. Today I thought I would share a few of the books I've enjoyed lately! (Or enjoyed a few months ago!)


After tirelessly climbing the ranks of her Chicago-based interior design firm, Lane Kelley is about to land her dream promotion when devastating news about her brother draws her back home—a quaint tourist town full of memories she’d just as soon forget. With her cell phone and laptop always within reach, Lane aims to check on her brother while staying focused on work—something her eclectic family doesn’t understand.

Ryan Brooks never expected to settle down in Harbor Pointe, Michigan, but after his final tour of duty, it was the only place that felt like home. Now knee-deep in a renovation project that could boost tourism for the struggling town, he is thrilled to see Lane, the girl he secretly once loved, even if the circumstances of her homecoming aren’t ideal.

Their reunion gets off to a rocky start, however, when Ryan can’t find a trace of the girl he once knew in the woman she is today. As he slowly chips away at the walls Lane has built, secrets from his past collide with a terrible truth even he is reluctant to believe. Facing a crossroads that could define his future with Lane and jeopardize his relationship with the surrogate family he’s found in the Kelleys, Ryan hopes Lane can see that maybe what really matters has been right in front of her all along—if only she’d just look up.


I was a bit surprised at how much I ended up liking this book. I'm not typically one for romance type books, but this was far more than just that. The romance aspect really took second place to everything else going on in this book.

The story was a bit predictable, but the story flowed well and the characters and their development were so well done it was easy to overlook a bit of predictable-ness. 

Lane was a bit hard to like at first as she was so engrossed in her job and her phone that it was a bit difficult to like her. But the more we get to know her the more you'll like and be able to relate to her.

The story is relatable and filled with wonderful characters. It deals with pain and past hurts, forgiveness and family, romance and emotion. 

This book was hard to put down and one I would definitely recommend!



From back cover:
An artist hiding from an escaped killer uncovers one of World War II’s most dangerous secrets — a secret that desperate men will do anything to keep hidden.
After the murder of her twin sister, Murphy Anderson changed her name and appearance and moved to Kodiak, Alaska, to avoid the press and publicity. But when local authorities discover she’s an artist and request her help in drawing a dying man’s memories, she unintentionally ends up in the limelight again—and back in the killer’s crosshairs.
The deathbed confessions of an Alaskan hunter have Murphy drawing the five bodies he discovered on remote Ruuwaq Island ten years ago. But what investigators find has them mystified. Evidence suggests that the bodies were deliberately destroyed, and what they uncover in an abandoned Quonset hut from World War II only brings more questions.
As one by one the investigators who were at the hut die, Murphy knows there is something much darker at stake. What happened on this island during the war? And who is willing to kill to keep its secrets buried?

I thought this book was really interesting. I've really enjoyed every other book by this author, so this was no different. This book is separate from her Gwen Marcey series (Which you should check out!) 

With that said, this definitely wasn't my favorite book she's ever written. The ending definitely was weird and unexpected. I mean, I like to be surprised by an ending but it just came so far out of left field that it left me feeling a tad annoyed.

I mostly just thought Murphy was an odd character as she was hard to like as you couldn't really relate to her. 

The plot is very interesting and while I didn't have much trouble following along with it, I think the plethora of characters is what made it a bit difficult to keep up with. Especially since so many of them are introduced and then killed off right away!

This book has plenty of danger and suspense and the author uses just enough historical accuracy to add truth to the story, but also uses plenty of creative liberty to craft a fascinating story. 

So while I did have things I didn't really care for in this book, it is one I would recommend reading.



Beneath the Surface by Lynn H. Blackburn
From back cover:
She thought she'd be safe when she moved back home. She was dead wrong.

After a harrowing experience with an obsessed patient, oncology nurse practitioner Leigh Weston needed a change. She thought she'd left her troubles behind when she moved home to Carrington, North Carolina, and took a job in the emergency department of the local hospital. But when someone tampers with her brakes, she fears the  past has chased her down and reaches out to her high school friend turned homicide investigator, Ryan Parker, for help.

Ryan finds satisfaction in his career, but his favorite way to use his skills is as a volunteer underwater investigator with the Carrington County Sheriff's Office dive team. When the body of a wealthy business man is discovered in Lake Porter, the investigation uncovers a possible serial killer - one with a terrifying connection to Leigh Weston and deadly implications for them all.

I really enjoyed this book! As much as I hate to admit it, I did kind of judge this book by it's cover. It looked vaguely familiar to another book I had read and it also just looked kind of like one of those self-published covers. It just doesn't have one of those interesting draw-you-in kind of covers. The cover really just doesn't do the author or the story justice! I was very happy I did pick this book up!

I really enjoyed the characters. I like a smart, strong female character who knows when to act but also knows when to listen to advice and accept help. I hate female characters who are so determined to be 'strong' and 'independent' that they intentionally put themselves in harm's way just so the hero can rescue them. It's a major pet-peeve of mine. Anyways, I just really liked Leigh! She's a really great character. She's kind and compassionate, but also confident in who she is and in her abilities.

Ryan is a great character as well and the relationship between him and Leigh is fun to follow along with.

The writing and plot were so unique and interesting. Such as the attempts on Leigh's life. They were really creative and different they anything else I had read. The book was just really well done and one I didn't want to put down!

This book has a good balance between action and suspense and calm and more 'normal' moments. I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next.

I did expect a bit more dive related material in the book, considering the series is called Dive Team Investigations, but that's neither here nor there.

Overall this was a great read and I will certainly pick up the next book in the series!


Have you read any good books lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment