Friday, August 25, 2017

Five for Friday

Hello and welcome to my Five for Friday! I am linking up with Cup of Tea Bright on a BudgetDella Devoted, and BYBMG!

1. While we were at my grandparents house last week we picked a bunch of blackberries. I wanted to make something with them so I came home and made some blackberry syrup. I've never made blackberry syrup before, but I thought it sounded good! It made way more than I expected, but it tastes really good!
2. Our drive home from my grandparents ended up being SO LONG. What is usually about a 10 hour drive ended up taking us 12 hours! We were expecting it to take a while, since we were traveling the day before the eclipse, but we ended up getting stuck in traffic for a long time because of construction. We did have Chipotle for lunch, so that was a plus. ;)
3. The big eclipse was earlier this week. Which I think everyone in the entire world has heard about! We were at 99.55% totality here. My mom bought glasses months ago, so we were able to actually watch it. It really didn't get very dark here, just a little, and it did get a tiny bit cooler at totality. It was weird because colors were really dark and vivid. After seeing pictures from places where it was 100% totality and dark as night, we were really surprised that .5% it was still really light out.

4. Another thing we did this week was make bread and butter pickles. While we were at my grandparents house my grandpa was talking about how he had a bunch of cucumbers in the garden and my mom decided she wanted to make pickles. So we ended up coming home with a bag of cucumbers (And a bag of carrots. Carrots fresh from the garden are so good!) and my mom and I got to work making pickles! It's a bit of a process to make them, cutting, soaking the cucumbers in salt for hours, cooking, then putting in jars and canning. But it was interesting to see how they're made. I haven't tried them yet but my  mom and sister really like them!
5. If you saw last weeks Five for Friday post, you saw that we went to Mt. Rainier. We visited the gift shop and I picked up a couple of post cards. I always feel like gift shops are so overpriced, so unless I find something I really like, I typically end up not getting anything. I do, however, always like to find postcards. They're almost always around like 50 cents, so they're definitely cheap! I especially like ones that aren't photographs (since I always take my own pictures!) I like ones that are artsy or watercolors or something. 

Once I get enough I like to arrange them in a frame like I did here!
Hope you have a great weekend!
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheDiaryOfNicoleAlicia

6 comments:

  1. That blackberry syrup sounds amazing. I wish I was good at stuff like that!

    Love the postcard idea! My boyfriend was a state trooper in Wisconsin at the beginning of his career and when he left I framed a bunch of old postcards I found at a flea market that were from four distinct areas in WI he spent time in as a trooper. Hopefully when we have a house he hangs them in his office or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to make pickles! Someday I'll get un-lazy enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had blackberry syrup but it sounds so good!! Aside from the extra long drive, your week sounds like a great one! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good! It was actually really easy to make! I used this recipe: http://realhousemoms.com/easy-homemade-blackberry-sauce/ That sounds like a really neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! They really aren't that hard to make, just a bit time consuming! It does take a bit longer if you decide to can them, but definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never had it before either, but I had bought some raspberry syrup from Costco a while back that I really like, so I figured blackberry syrup would be good too! I used this recipe if you are interested: http://realhousemoms.com/easy-homemade-blackberry-sauce/

    ReplyDelete