Monday, September 4, 2017

What I've Read Lately

Anyone who really knows me knows I love to read. Today I thought I would share a few of the books I've enjoyed lately!

Engaged In Trouble by Jenny B. Jones
From back cover:
When a washed-up pop star inherits a wedding planning business, it's all bouquets and bliss...until a bride turns up dead. 

Paisley Sutton shot to stardom as a teenage rock sensation, but ten years later that star has fizzled out, just like her bank account. When she unexpectedly inherits her aunt's wedding planning business, Paisley leaves the glamour of Los Angeles for a charming small town in Arkansas. Thinking she'll arrive in Sugar Creek and liquidate the moldy property, Paisley's shocked to find Enchanted Events has experienced a major makeover and is now the place for brides.

Paisley's tossed into a world of vows and venues, but her most difficult challenge comes in the form of one demanding bride. When this bridezilla's found facedown in her cake, all fingers point to Paisley as the prime murder suspect. And she does not look good in prison orange. 

The former pop princess will need the help of her gun-toting, ex-CIA grandmother and her handsome neighbor, Beau Hudson, to unravel the mystery and clear her good name.

Love is in the air this wedding season, but before Paisley can help the ladies of Sugar Creek say, "I do," she's got to unveil a killer. Or find herself the next target. 

I really liked this book! Like, best book I've read in a while good! 

I've always been a fan of Jenny B. Jones's books, but this was my favorite one so far. 

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the characters. I mean an ex-CIA granny? You really can't beat that! I really liked Beau and Paisley, even minor characters were interesting. I was sad to finish this book because I liked it so much! There is so much humor in this book too, which kept me laughing and entertained. 

But for me, the biggest surprise was that I couldn't figure out who the killer was. I usually can figure these things out pretty quickly and I'm usually even disappointed at the end of books when the killer is who I thought it was because it was too easy. But I was pleased with this ending. 

Overall this was a really good book and I don't think you'll be disappointed!


From back cover:
On a scenic riverbank outside Seattle, forensic geologist Raleigh Harmon accidentally digs up evidence linked to the local FBI's most famous unsolved mystery-D.B. Cooper's 1971 hijacking of a passenger airplane, before he disappeared without a trace. 

When the bureau hires Raleigh to help solve the legendary cold case, she's forced to juggle two urgent assignments-she's already working with the state crime lab to identify geological material linked to a young girl's murder. A murder that might send an innocent man to death row.

Now, as Raleigh digs deeper into both cases, she triggers a dangerous series of events. And she fractures her fresh romance with agent Jack Stephanson. What's worse, Jack doesn't seem to care.

In The Moon Stands Still, Raleigh Harmon confronts her worst fears of abandonment and failure, fighting to deliver justice and uncover the truth.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, I am very familiar with the D.B. Cooper case. So I was quite intrigued when I saw that this book was going to be 'solving' that case. 

I thought the book was well written and it kept me interested. I know Raleigh is a geologist, but sometimes the geology information and descriptions get a little boring, but it's easy enough to skim over. 

Maybe not my favorite book in the Raleigh Harmon series, but overall a good read. 

This is book 7 in the series, so I would recommend starting with book one if you are interested in this series.


From back cover:
An unsolved case. A tempest of memories. The future's at stake-and time is running out.

Gwen Marcey has done a good job keeping the pain of her past boxed up. But as she investigates the case of a missing child in Lapwai, Idaho, details keep surfacing that are eerily similar to her childhood traumas. She doesn't believe in coincidences. So what's going on here?

No one knows more about the impact of the past than the Nez Perce people of Lapwai. Gwen finds herself an unwelcome visitor to some, making her investigation even more difficult. The questions keep piling up, but answers are slow in coming-and the clock is ticking for a missing little girl. Meanwhile, Gwen's ex-husband is threatening to take sole custody of their daughter. 

As Gwen's past and present collide, she's in a desperate race for the truth. Because only truth will ensure she still has a future.

I have really enjoyed the Gwen Marcey series and this book did not disappoint! It's another book set in the Northwest, which I enjoy. The author is a real forensic artist, so it's pretty interesting to read about through Gwen. 

I did find the plot line circling around Gwen's childhood a little odd. Mostly just her childhood. I think I could have done without that part. With everything else going on it was a little unnecessary. 

Overall this is a great read! If you like mystery and suspense, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I have really enjoyed every book in the Gwen Marcey series. There is a lot of history and mystery in every book. I highly recommend checking them out!
Book one in the Gwen Marcey series.

Have you read any good books lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment