Wednesday, November 19, 2014

How to make browned butter

Today I thought I would post a quick tutorial on how to make browned butter-or beurre noisette, which is a popular French technique. I started using browned butter this past summer in some of my baked goods. I have used it in bread, muffins and cookies. I haven't tried it in any cooking recipes, but I will definitely be giving it a try soon! It gives off a rich, kind of nutty flavor. So good! It's pretty easy to make and I don't think you will be disappointed! So give it a try next time you bake something!
 Start out by putting your butter (I used 1 stick or 1/2 cup because that is what my recipe called for.) in a skillet on medium-high heat. Some say to slice the butter so it melts faster, but that isn't necessary.
 Keep an eye on it as it melts.
 Give the pan a quick stir.
 Now that it's melted, you need to keep stirring it as it cooks. You do NOT want it to burn!
 It will start to bubble up. Just keep stirring!
 You should notice it starting to turn a light tan/brownish color. It will also give off a nutty smell. Once the bubbles start to subside, turn off your burner and remove the skillet from the heat.
Your butter should look like this now. Those little browned bits in the bottom of the pan? Those are the toasted milk solids.
Now pour the butter into a bowl or dish or whatever. You don't want to leave it in the pan because it will continue cooking and you don't want it to burn! 

Let the butter cool before adding to your recipe. 
Next week I will be posting a recipe using browned butter!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment